The development of Kuehne + Nagel in Canada
Under the leadership of Alfred Kuehne, Kuehne + Nagel established its first foreign operations outside Germany in Toronto in May 1953. The Canadian organisation was initially based in the “Toronto Star” building on Yonge Street, but moved from this well-known address to Mississauga during the 1960’s in order to be closer to the international airport.
Expansion of the company in Canada followed throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s, with the opening of a strategically located office at the pacific port of Vancouver, and a warehouse facility in Montreal, Quebec. Further offices in Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax, Edmonton and Calgary, together with the launch of insurance brokerage services and specific solutions for the Oil and Gas industry, confirmed Kuehne + Nagel’s commitment to the Canadian market.
In 2003 Kuehne + Nagel Canada celebrated its 50th anniversary, and was the first country organisation outside the founding country of Germany to do so. Since then, its growth has steadily continued. In 2012, for example, a 380,000 sq ft logistics centre including an 80,000 sq ft cool zone was opened to support the needs of the Pharma and Healthcare industry. The same year saw the extension of Kuehne + Nagel’s perishables logistics network thanks to the acquisition of Perishables International Transportation Inc. (PIT), Vancouver.
Today, Kuehne + Nagel Canada operates across 27 locations with 1,100 employees.