The Galaxy Macau resort is an evolving, major hotel and leisure complex on the Cotai Strip, Macau, China.
Phase 2, completed in May 2015, included further hotels and expansion of the original facilities. Accommodation now stands at more than 2,200 guest rooms, suites and villas across three world-class hotels including the 5-five Galaxy (investment of more than HK$15 billion).
Additional facilities include more than 50 food and beverage outlets, distinctive retail shopping extending over 52,000 square meters, and the world’s largest Skytop Wave Pool covering 4,000 square meters and featuring a 350-ton white-sand beach.
Challenges and solutions
Mixture of cargo types: standard hotel room accessories and high value artwork
There were added complications:
- These were not palletised bulk shipments of room accessories dropped off at the hotel door, but pre-configured loads packaged for instant placement in individual rooms.
- Not all cargo was standard hotel room items. The logistics operation included more than 1,000 high value works of art, sculptures and other artifacts for distribution around the hotel’s public areas.
In other words, there could be no ‘one size fits all’ approach. Fortunately, our customer could rely on Kuehne + Nagel’s industry contacts and strong presence in the region to provide a range of fast-access storage facilities, including high security. Just as important was the local knowledge which meant we could assemble specialist teams at very short notice to carry out the work to the expected standard. We were also able to call on the services of three artwork consultants to ensure that risk was minimised.
Procurement from multiple suppliers located across a wide global area
Like most hotel operations these days, the Galaxy Macau uses multiple suppliers located across a very wide geographical area. Kuehne + Nagel’s global network and advanced visibility and monitoring technology was able to absorb this complex procurement task with ease, leaving our customer to concentrate on other priorities.
Kuehne + Nagel’s Hotel Logistics team delivered as promised. We used our industry experience, contacts and project planning expertise to successfully manage the freight shipments, warehousing, distribution and installation of both the standard hotel room accessories and the 1,000+ pieces of artwork, sculpture and artifacts in time for the opening of the three hotels – and all within just five months!
- Peace of mind from using industry specialist
- Use of full service capabilities worldwide for simplified procurement
- Reliability from local storage and delivery capability
- Easier communication through single point of contact
- Efficiency: deadlines met through skilled local staffing